Hope Tabernacle was the first Oneness Pentecostal church to be recongized for a century of service. In October 2005, we hosted a centennial celebration to officially mark the 100 years we had been active in the city of Alvin. To the right are articles which detail our rich history in this wonderful community.
Rev. Howard Goss arrived in Alvin in October 1905 along with Charles Parham and several other Pentecostal ministers. They had services outside the Alvin Train Depot and many received the Holy Ghost there. Goss served as the first pastor in Alvin and later started several other churches including one in Galveston. Howard Goss was the first General Superintendent of the United Pentecostal Church, serving in that capacity from 1945 until 1951.
Rev. Elmer Cross founded a United Pentecostal Church in Alvin in 1956 at 1402 Jackson Street.
Rev. Tom Bunday served as Pastor from 1962-1969 and was followed by Rev. S.L. James, Jr. who led the church from 1969-1970 and was succeeded by Rev. Tom Potter from 1970-1971. Rev. Freddie Waldrep was Pastor from 1971-1973. Rev. Stan Magee became Pastor in 1973 and led the church for 13 years. During this time the church built a new worship center at 620 East House (across from the present Alvin EMS.)
Rev. Joe Shaw came to Alvin in 1990 with a vision for Apostolic revival. Shortly after his arrival they purchased property at 414 South 7th Street and made plans to build a new facility there. In 1997 that dream came to fruition with the beautiful sanctuary we now enjoy. Bro. Shaw felt God leading him to another work in 2003 and Rev. Darren Shelton assumed the leadership in October of that year. Under Pastor Shelton's vision, the church has become very active in the Alvin community and is touching lives like never before!
We believe that our future is made brighter because of our past, that the best is yet to come and encourage you to be a part of the exciting things God is doing in this present day!